Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Winter orange & onion salad


Serves 4










1 thinly sliced sweet onion
2 oranges-valencia or navel
black olives
dressing:
2 anchovies
3 capers
1/2 shallot
1 oz sherry vinegar
2 oz olive oil
1 clove garlic

My step father made this delicious fresh salad on new years. It will wake your palate up for a fine meal. Its important to buy sweet onions, which have a milder flavor. In southern France local onions are used (oignon des Cevennes) which are available from the end of September to the end of April. Made the dressing first by mashing all the ingredients together into a smooth paste. Arrange the ingredients artfully on the plate and pour the dressing over each plate. Bon Appetit

4 comments:

Miss Mish Mish said...

Oh I must try this! I love salads and this one sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Allison said...

Beautiful photo of....what sounds delicious! I love interesting ways to use citrus.

Anonymous said...

Loving the deep red of the oranges!

Leah said...

Beautiful photo! that salad looks delicious. I often take photos of my own salads because they are so beautiful!